|Home Artists Exhibitions Organizations Clippings References|
Objects of the Association:|
To maintain and develop the Museum
To preserve the early annals of British Columbia History
To preserve examples of native indian arts and crafts
The Society was formally established in 1894, although it sprang from a loosely organized group known as the Art Association, formed in 1889. The Art Association from time to time discussed the expansion of their group to include Historical and Literary matters, and suggested using the name Art, Historical and Scientific Association (AHSAV) as early as 1892, before reorganizing under that name.
The early history of the AHSAV was described in the Association's publication "Museum Notes", in the June 1926 article titled "History of the Art, Historical and Scientific Association; Biographical - Founders and Members. This article touched on many of the people and events prior to 1900, but was not as inclusive, or as detailed regarding the earliest art activities in Vancouver, as the pamphlet issued in 1944 to mark the Golden Jubilee of the Vancouver Museum. That pamphlet's article titled "History of the Art, Historical and Scientific Association - "Vancouver's First Cultural Association", by Noel Robinson, provided much more additional and interesting material than the earlier article.
In 1928 sculptor Charles Marega donated a "sculptured replica in white marble of the death mask of Pauline Johnson" to the Association. (AHSAV fond, Vancouver City Archives)
In 1929 the Society purchased their first "Salon" painting, "Les Pauvres" by Mary Riter Hamilton. The Society published an article by Mrs. W. Garland Foster titled "Les Pauvres" and Its Artist" in the June 1929 issue of Museum and Art Notes. The article includes a brief history of the Society's collection and an "incomplete" list of pictures sold by Hamilton, and their owners.
In 1932, the year after her husband's death, Mrs. Thomas Fripp donated two of Thomas Fripp's watercolours to the Association: "Deadman's Island From Brockton Point", dated 1925, and "Vanishing Vancouver", dated 1928.
"Fine Art Advisory Board to the Vancouver Exhibition Association"
From "Western Women's Weekly", July 29 1922
"The Art, Historical & Scientific Association, without doubt, were the pioneers
and leaders for all that pertains to art and culture in the City of Vancouver."
From "Curator's Report", T.P.O. Menzies
Museum Notes Vol. I No. 1, February 1926
"It was on April 17th, 1894, that the Art, Historical
and Scientific Association held its first meeting, and of those who
were instrumental in the formation of this Society none was more prominent
than the late Mrs. H.A. Mellon."
From "The City Art Gallery", by G.H. Lardner
Museum and Art Notes, Vol. IV, No. 1. March 1929
|Home Copyright 2008 - 2020|