Art & Artists in Exhibition: Vancouver 1890 - 1950
     Home     Artists     Exhibitions     Organizations     Clippings     References    

Vancouver Studio Club & School of Art

1904 - ?


The Vancouver Studio Club and School of Art was a predecessor organization to the B.C. Society of Fine Arts, and began exhibiting in Vancouver as early as 1904. Founding members of the group included T.W. Fripp and Spencer Perceval Judge.

Teachers at the school included S.P. Judge, James Forbes MacKintosh Gow, Margaret Wake, Louise Beresford Tully, and Ann Batchelor.

The 1906 Henderson's directory listed the group at 633 West Hastings Street, President H. Abbott, Treasurer Mrs. Osborne Plunkett, Secretary Mrs. A.L. Russell.


Exhibitions

DATE TITLE
1904 November Loan Exhibition
1906 October Group Exhibition
1907 October Group Exhibition
1908 October Group Exhibition
1909 June 19-July 17 Exhibition of Pictures (see review)
1909 Oct - Nov Autumn Exhibition (see review)

References

CITY & PROVINCIAL DIRECTORIES 1906/1914 (refer to DIR)

Clippings

"Vancouver Studio Club Spring Exhibition"
      B.C. Saturday Sunset, July 3 1909

"The Studio Club Autumn Exhibition"
      B.C. Saturday Sunset, October 30 1909

"Among the various societies that have from time to time been started in British Columbia to further the cause of art, the Vancouver Studio Club is entitled to a prominent place. It was started in 1904 under the presidency of Mr. H. Abbott, who still retains that position. Himself an enthusiastic amateur in water color, Mr. Abbott was always ready to do what he could in the cause of art, and in November of the same year he assisted in the gathering of an important loan collection of pictures which were exhibited under the auspices of the club, and which contained many valuable works of art."
      From "Art in British Columbia", by Bernard McEvoy,
      Opportunities magazine, 1910


     Home     Copyright 2008 - 2017