Vancouver Daily Province, February 27 1948


by Palette

     With the death of Stanley D. Tytler, well-known nonagenarian artist, the B.C. art world has lost one of its most interesting personalities. Mr. Tytler died Wednesday at Kingsway Nursing Home. The story of his life is a colorful tale of adventure and romance.
     Born on June 21, 1857, on the ridge occupied by British troops overlooking the ancient Indian capital, he was probably the last survivor of the historic siege of Delhi.
     Mr. Tytler's middle initial stand for Delhi-Force in commemoration of the Delhi Field Force with which his father was serving as captain. Later Captain Tytler became a colonel and governor of the Andaman Islands where a mountain, Mount Harriet, was named by Lord Napier in honor of the artist's mother.

     The dramatic circumstances attending his birth during this critical period in the Indian Mutiny are related at considerable length by Field Marshal Lord Roberts in his famous "Forty-One Years in India."
     As a young man Stanley D. Tytler saw much adventure in South Africa during the two Zulu wars. As a lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion, Natal Native Contingent, he was with the troops which brought in the body of the Prince Imperial slain in an ambush by Zulu warriors.
     After spending many years of his youth in India, he went to China, painted the Australian bush, and finally in 1894 came to Vancouver where he has since resided.
     One of the pioneers in fostering art interest in the province Mr. Tytler became president of the leading professional body of artists in the West, the B.C. Society of Fine Arts, and was active in the establishment of the Art Gallery. Highly esteemed by his associates in the art world the artist was greeted last year on his ninetieth birthday by a special delegation of the society.
     Unusually well preserved for his age, Mr. Tytler until recently often worked two hours a day in his spacious garden overlooking Burnaby Lake. Although his vision and hearing were not perfect he was always singularly cheerful and his conversation was a delight to those privileged to know him.
     The artist's youngest brother, in a family of seven, was the late General Sir Arthur Tytler, DSO, KCB. The deceased is survived by his widow, one son, one daughter, six grandchildren, and one brother. The funeral will take place at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. Albans' Church, New Westminster.